Herbal teas have exploded in popularity in recent years, and for good reason. With their array of health benefits, delicious flavors, and relaxing properties, herbal teas have become a staple beverage for many. Though available in nearly any grocery store, buying herbal tea in bulk can save you money while allowing you to sample a wide variety of flavors.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explore the benefits of herbal tea, factors to consider when choosing quality bulk tea, rankings of the top teas to buy in bulk, proper storage methods, brewing the perfect cup, and where to find the best bulk tea deals. After reading, you’ll have the knowledge to become a savvy bulk tea buyer and discover new favorite brews. So sit back, grab your favorite mug, and let’s dive into the wonderful world of bulk herbal tea!
Sipping On Savings and Health
Part of the appeal of bulk herbal tea is the opportunity to try new flavors affordably. Buying a variety pack with multiple teas allows you to sample different brews without committing to a whole box. This helps you determine which teas you love before purchasing more in bulk at a lower per-ounce price. Over time, buying bulk tea rather than individual boxes can lead to significant savings.
Beyond saving money, herbal teas offer a range of health benefits thanks to their abundance of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory compounds, and medicinal ingredients. Herbal tea can:
- Improve hydration as a flavorful, no-calorie beverage
- Provide antioxidants that fight cellular damage from free radicals
- Soothe an upset stomach with ginger, chamomile, peppermint and other herbs
- Promote relaxation and sleep with caffeine-free options
- Reduce stress and calm the nervous system
- Support heart and brain health with anti-inflammatory compounds
The specific benefits depend on the ingredients in each blend. Experimenting with different bulk herbal teas is an enjoyable way to discover new flavors and effects.
Choosing Quality Bulk Tea
Not all bulk tea is created equal when it comes to flavor and freshness. When shopping for bulk herbal tea, keep the following factors in mind:
- Reputable brand – Established tea companies known for quality and consistency generally offer better tasting teas than generic or obscure brands.
- Organic options – Organic teas contain higher antioxidant levels and avoid pesticide residues.
- Natural flavors – Artificial fragrances and flavorings can diminish tea’s subtle flavors.
- Fair trade certification – Fair trade teas support fair wages and labor rights for workers.
- Whole leaf teas – Leaves that are left whole provide better flavor compared to broken leaves.
- Freshness – Check expiration dates and proper storage conditions. Refrigeration extends life.
- Ideal package size– Consider how quickly you drink tea. Buy more of favorites and smaller amounts to sample.
When possible, smell open bins of bulk tea to gauge freshness before purchasing. High quality teas have an intense, pleasing aroma when fresh.
Ranking the Best Bulk Herbal Teas
If you’re new to herbal tea, deciding where to begin when faced with rows of tea bins can be daunting. Here, we’ve highlighted five of the top-rated and best-selling herbal teas worth buying in bulk.
Peppermint – The Soothing, Cooling Tea
Beloved for its refreshing mint flavor, peppermint tea offers a delicious way to aid digestion after meals. The menthol naturally found in peppermint provides a cooling sensation that helps relax intestinal muscles. Regularly drinking peppermint tea can ease symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and upset stomach. Beyond digestive benefits, peppermint tea contains antioxidants and has demonstrated anti-inflammatory, anti-nausea, and pain-relieving properties. Its light,invigorating flavor makes a perfect anytime drink.
We recommend the organic peppermint tea from Traditional Medicinals. They use only leaves from the peppermint plant for a pure, minty flavor. Theirpeppermint tea is certified organic, non-GMO, caffeine-free, and ethically sourced.
Chamomile – The Calming, Floral Tea
For centuries, chamomile tea has been used for its gentle soothing and calming effects. The flowers impart a mild apple-like flavor and comforting aroma. Chamomile contains antioxidant flavonoids that reduce inflammation in the body. Regular drinking has been shown to promote restful sleep and ease anxiety. Some even use cooled chamomile tea bags as a wash for skin irritations. Chamomile is beloved for its versatility – drink as a hot tea before bed or chill as iced tea on a hot day.
We recommend chamomile flowers from the organic brand Buddha Teas. They offer high quality teas in compostable, bleach-free tea bags.
Hibiscus – The Tart and Tangy Tea
Valued for its intense ruby red color and tart, cranberry-like flavor, hibiscus makes a refreshing iced tea. The tangy taste comes from natural plant acids, which impart the health benefits of lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar levels. Hibiscus tea is also impressively high in antioxidants. Try combining it with citrus flavors like orange peel or lemon verbena for a flavor-packed iced tea.
For the best quality dried hibiscus flowers, go with a brand like Republic of Tea. They cold press hibiscus petals to retain high levels of bioactive compounds.
Ginger – The Warming, Soothing Tea
Earthy and peppery, ginger tea is revered for its medicinal qualities. Gingerol and other active compounds give it powerful anti-inflammatory effects. Sipping ginger tea eases nausea, motion sickness, morning sickness, and digestive troubles. The circulation-boosting heat of ginger can also relieve muscle aches, menstrual cramps, and headaches. Ginger blends nicely with other herbs like mint, cinnamon, or lemon.
For optimum potency, we recommend Frontier Co-op’s organic ginger root tea. They mince ginger rhizomes into small, quick-dissolving pieces.
Turmeric – The Anti-Inflammatory, Immunity-Boosting Tea
With its golden yellow hue and earthy, slightly bitter taste, turmeric has surged in popularity for its health-enhancing qualities. Curcumin is the active compound that imbues turmeric with exceptional anti-inflammatory and antioxidant capacities. Regularly drinking turmeric tea may help boost immunity, heart health, and brain function. The bioavailability of curcumin improves when paired with black pepper. Be sure to use a tea strainer, as turmeric can stain cups!
For fresh, fair trade turmeric root, Rishi Tea is an excellent bulk tea source. Their turmeric ginger tea combines these two powerhouse herbs.
Proper Storage for Shelf Life and Freshness
To retain the aroma, flavors, and health benefits of your bulk tea purchases, be sure to store them properly. Follow these tips:
- Keep teas in sealed, airtight containers in a cool, dark cupboard away from direct light and humidity. Light and oxygen degrade delicate compounds.
- If possible, store tea in the refrigerator or freezer for maximum freshness, up to 2 years.
- Avoid strong odors from other foods that may seep into absorbent tea leaves.
- Whole leaf teas maintain freshness longer than broken leaves.
- Ground herbs and spices used in tea blends lose potency faster, within 6-12 months.
Signs that your tea has gone stale include fading of color, lack of aroma, and weakened flavor. Oxidation causes degradation, so minimal air exposure preserves quality. With optimal storage methods, most teas retain goodness for 1-2 years.
Steeping Methods for the Perfect Cup
Preparing a flawless cup of herbal tea begins with quality leaves and pure water, but proper steeping is also crucial. Follow these tips:
- Always start by bringing fresh, cold water to a rolling boil. Cold water has more oxygen to release flavors.
- Use the recommended water temperature for the tea type. Black tea brews best with boiling 212°F water. Green and white teas require lower temperatures of 160-180°F to avoid bitterness.
- Precisely measure loose leaf teas using teaspoons or infusers. One tsp per 8 oz. cup is standard.
- Steep for the recommended duration, usually 3-5 minutes. Steeping too long over-extracts tannins, causing bitterness.
- Cover the steeping tea to contain aromatics. Use a cozy or small plate.
- To enhance flavor, try adding fresh lemon, honey, or milk/creamers after steeping.
- Experiment with combinations of herbal blends to create your own perfect cup!
Following proper methods helps coax the greatest flavor and health benefits from delicate tea leaves. Soon you’ll become an expert tea maker!
Buying in Bulk Saves Money
Beyond the many health benefits, the cost savings of buying tea in bulk shouldn’t be overlooked. Buying bulk allows you to purchase high volumes of your favorites at a lower price per ounce. Bulk bins eliminate packaging costs.
Buying in bulk means:
- Lower cost per ounce – Significant savings buying pounds versus boxes
- Sampling many varieties affordably – Try new flavors risk-free
- Less trips to the store – Stock up on your go-to teas
- Easy storage – Tea stays fresh for over a year
- Divide into smaller batches – Portion out quantities after opening
Don’t be put off by high upfront costs. Focus on the per ounce price and calculate long-term savings from bulk tea. If storage space is limited, go in on bulk orders with friends and split varieties. Follow proper storage and your bulk tea investment will repay itself cup after cup.
Finding the Best Deals on Bulk Tea
Now that you’re sold on buying herbal tea in bulk, where should you look for the best quality and prices? Here are some of our top recommendations for sourcing bulk loose leaf tea:
- Online specialty tea retailers – Large online selection, ships fresh
- Natural food stores – Bulk bins allow you to sniff and sample
- Tea shops – Smell and taste teas on-site, then order bulk amounts
- Big box stores – Limited bulk tea selection, but cost-effective
- Amazon – Subscribe and save on your favorite tea picks
- Tea subscriptions – Discover new teas monthly
- Herb shops – For buying medicinal herbs like ginger in bulk
Wherever you buy from, inspect for freshness and research reviews on the tea purveyor. Look for organic, fair trade options when possible. With an arsenal of herbal teas, you’ll be ready to soothe any ailment, lift any mood, and please any palate while saving money.
Relax and Hydrate with Endless Herbal Combinations
As we’ve explored, bulk herbal teas provide a wealth of flavors and health benefits to sample. They promote relaxation, immunity, digestion, energy levels, and overall well-being. By buying in bulk, you ensure access to your favorites while discovering new varieties. Follow the storage, steeping, and buying tips outlined to become a savvy tea drinker.
The world of herbal tea is endlessly customizable. Have fun blending complementary flavors like lemon and ginger or peppermint and turmeric. Try serving iced or experiment with mix-ins like fruit or milk. With the amazing diversity of herbal teas now available in bulk, you’ll never have to drink the same cup twice! Just sit back and sip your way to better health.