If you’ve ever experienced a glass slipping off a serving tray or had to scrub sauce stains out of your counter for the umpteenth time, it may be time to invest in a non-slip rubberized tray mat. These humble but handy accessories can make a world of difference when prepping, serving, and dining!
Non-slip mats provide a range of benefits that make them an essential kitchen item:
- They protect your tables and countertops from scratches, dents, heat damage and stains. The cushioned rubber surface absorbs impact, preventing cracks and chips in dishes.
- The textured rubber grip anchoring trays, plates, pots, and glassware firmly in place to prevent sliding and spills. No more chasing sliding glasses or worrying about tipped trays!
- The cushioning of the mat also absorbs vibration, so stacked plates, bowls glasses stay neatly piled high, preventing a messy avalanche.
- Non-slip tray mats contain splashes and spills, keeping your counters and tables clean and hygienic for food prep.
- Many are heat resistant up to 500°F, protecting your surfaces from hot pots and pans fresh from the stove or oven.
- Unlike towels or placemats, these durable mats stand up to daily use without wear and tear. They’re an investment that pays off!
With so many options on the market, how do choose the best non-slip tray mat for your needs? Let’s look at the top 5 bestselling rubberized tray mats and their key features to consider:
1. Gorilla Grip Original Non-Slip Oversized Kitchen Tray Mat
With its huge size and deeply textured grip pattern, the Gorilla Grip mat is one of the most popular choices for anchoring trays and other kitchen items in place.
- Extra large dimensions – At 35.4 x 23.6 inches, this mat provides ample surface area to keep even the biggest trays and platters stable.
- 3mm thick silicone rubber – Made of BPA-free, food grade silicone that withstands temperatures up to 425°F.
- Beveled edges – Keep plates, bowls, and glassware neatly contained.
- Textured zigzag pattern – The bold raised zigzag grid provides excellent anti-slip traction.
The mat’s generous size and beveled edges make it easy to carry loaded platters and trays back and forth without slippage. The textured zigzag pattern grips smooth dishware and glassware securely. It takes serious sliding force to dislodge items from this mat!
While some customers wish it came in more size options, the Gorilla Grip mat excels at anchoring items of all sizes in the biggest way possible. Just note that the pliable silicone material can develop odors over time.
2. Funny Chef Non-Slip Rubber Tray Mat
For anyone looking to add some whimsical flair to their kitchen, this playful mat featuring a funny cartoon chef offers solid grip strength in a cute package.
- Illustration of a smiling chef character
- Made from 5mm thick natural rubber
- Textured surface for traction
- Heat resistance up to 450°F
The mat’s charming design shows an illustrated chef with a pot belly and lively facial expression. But despite its humorous style, this mat means business when it comes to keeping items in place! The durable natural rubber material provides superb traction thanks to the textured pattern.
Just note that the cheeky chef design may not suit more sophisticated kitchen decors. And like many natural rubber products, this mat comes with a persistent rubbery odor at first. But fans say the smell eventually dissipates with use.
3. Simple Shine Non-Slip Tray Mat Set
Sometimes simpler is better – that’s the idea behind this minimalist 6-piece non-slip mat set. The coordinating mats lend a splash of color while keeping items stabilized.
- Set of 6 mats in blue, green, yellow, gray, pink and white
- 2mm thick beveled silicone rubber construction
- Heat resistance up to 428°F
These versatile mats let you mix and match colors to create endless configurations. Their slim 2mm thickness makes it easy to stack and roll up the mats for storage. The smooth material also wipes clean easily.
Fans love these bright mats for adding a pop of color to their kitchens. However, the thin silicone does lack some of the cushioning and stability of a thicker mat. And light colors like white are prone to stains over time. But it’s a great budget-friendly option!
4. Winco BSN-15 Bunsen Burner Mat
If you frequently use a Bunsen burner, this flame-retardant mat is specially designed to withstand the intense heat while protecting your work surface.
- Made of 6mm thick SBR commercial grade rubber
- Extra large 19.75 x 15.75 inch size
- Withstands temperatures up to 572°F
Winco’s heavy duty Bunsen burner mat provides stellar heat protection and resistance to chemical spills. The supersized mat also anchors scientific glassware and instruments, with enough space for notes and reference materials.
Naturally, this no-frills mat lacks decorative appeal. And it’s overkill for anyone not working with lab equipment on a regular basis. But for its intended use with Bunsen burners, this thick rubber mat really excels at absorbing heat and providing stability.
5. Carlisle Metal Utensil Tray Mat
When it comes to durable grip strength for heavy utensils, this commercial grade mat is built to last through high volume food service.
- Made from 0.5mm thick nitrile rubber
- Beveled edges and raised lip
- Top rack dishwasher safe
While thinner than other mats, the nitrile rubber provides excellent slip resistance – one of the best grips for heavy stainless steel utensils and cutlery. The mat contains splashes and spills thanks to the raised lip, while fitting neatly under plates and bowls.
The main drawbacks are a lower heat tolerance of just 212°F and the potential for curling edges over time. But for anyone prepping food professionally, the unmatched durability outweighs those small deficits.
Now that you’re familiar with some top-rated options, how do you choose the right non-slip tray mat for your particular needs? Here are some key selection criteria to consider:
- Size and Dimensions – Consider the tables, counters and trays you want to cover to determine the appropriate width and length. Standard sizes range from 16 x 24 inches up to oversized 35 x 24 inch mats. Mats made of pieces let you create custom layouts.
- Thickness – Thicker mats from 3-6mm provide maximum cushioning and stability but are heavier and can be tricky to clean. Slimmer 2mm mats are more flexible but may lack grip strength. Choose based on your usage.
- Edge Type – Beveled edges are great for containing plates and glasses. Vertical lips hold in spills on counters. And rolled edges are easy to lift. Evaluate your needs.
- Material – Silicone provides excellent heat resistance while natural and nitrile rubber offer ultimate traction. Avoid cheaper PVC blends that wear out quickly.
- Texture – Zigzag and wave patterns along with nubby textures improve grip. But they can trap gunk in grooves. Prioritize non-slip strength versus ease of cleaning.
- Heat Tolerance – Ensure your mat can withstand stove and oven temps up to 500°F. Silicone and natural rubber mats meet this threshold for cooking needs.
- Care – Look for dishwasher safe or easy hand washing options. Harsh chemicals can degrade rubber over time.
- Design – From simple patterns to funny themes, choose a style that matches your kitchen’s aesthetics and your tastes!
Once you’ve zeroed in on the right criteria for your needs, you’re ready to choose a tray mat that will serve you well for years to come.
To help you make an informed decision, here are answers to some frequently asked questions about these indispensable kitchen aids:
Q: Why do I need a non-slip tray mat?
A: Non-slip mats provide a range of benefits – they protect surfaces from scratches, prevent slipping hazards, absorb impacts to avoid broken dishware, insulate counters from hot items, and contain messy spills. Basically, they make prepping, serving and dining safer and easier while prolonging the life of your furnishings.
Q: What material is best for a non-slip tray mat?
A: Look for commercial-grade silicone, natural vulcanized rubber, and nitrile rubber. These ensure heat resistance, durability, and traction. Cheaper PVC blends wear out quickly. Silicone withstands heat and is non-toxic.
Q: How do I clean a rubber tray mat?
A: Most non-slip mats can be cleaned with mild soap and warm water – avoid harsh chemicals. Use a soft brush or sponge to remove debris from textured surfaces. Many silicone mats are conveniently top-rack dishwasher safe.
Q: How can I prevent rubber smells from a tray mat?
A: Limit odors by hand washing instead of dishwashing, allowing the mat to fully air dry between uses. Baking soda or vinegar soaks help absorb smells. Storing partially unrolled also prevents odor buildup.
Q: Are rubber tray mats heat resistant?
A: Yes, quality mats made from materials like silicone and natural rubber withstand temperatures from 400°F to over 500°F – hot enough for stovetop cooking and baking. The mat helps insulate counters from hot items.
Q: How do I know if a tray mat will fit my space?
A: Measure your prep and dining surfaces, then cross-reference the dimensions listed for the mat. Standard sizes range from 16 x 24 inches to oversized 35 x 24 inches. Modular designs let you customize sizes and layouts.
Q: Should I get a mat with beveled or vertical edges?
A: For dining tabletop use, beveled edges hold plates and glasses firmly. Vertical lips are better for containing spills when prepping on kitchen counters. Choose the edge style based on your primary location.
Q: Can tray mats go in the oven or freezer?
A: No, even heat-resistant mats are not designed for oven or freezer use. The extreme hot and cold temperatures will damage the rubber. Use them only at room temp up to around 500°F.
Q: How do I keep a tray mat from sliding around?
A: Quality rubber mats inherently stay put, but try wiping the countertop and mat clean for maximum friction. Avoid slick surfaces like tile and glass. Adhesive shelf liner or double-sided tape can also anchor mats.
Q: What’s the best way to fold or roll a tray mat for storage?
A: Avoid creasing the mat tightly, which can cause cracks over time. Gently roll up from end to end or loosely fold into thirds without sharp creases. Store flat or upright, not sharply folded inward.
Now that you’re armed with all the inside tips for choosing the ideal non-slip tray mat for your kitchen, the only thing left is to start enjoying the benefits of your smart purchase!
These humble but handy accessories provide a range of perks:
- Protecting your prized countertops and dining tables from scratches, dents, stains and heat damage
- Creating a non-slip surface that anchors dishes, glasses and trays firmly into place
- Absorbing vibrations and impacts to prevent cracked plates or shattered glassware
- Containing food splatters and spills for a clean, hygienic prep and dining area
- Withstanding high temps up to 500°F to insulate your counters from hot cookware
- Cushioning everything from fine china to heavy cast iron pans during use and transport
- Outlasting towels and placemats with durable, grippy rubber construction
So don’t wait until you’re chasing a runaway glass or scrubbing tomato sauce out of your counter for the hundredth time – invest in a non-slip tray mat today and make your meal prep and dining so much easier and safer. Just be sure to choose the right size, thickness, edge type, material, texture and design to suit your space and needs.
With the proper tray mat in place, you can confidently carry hefty platters back and forth, keep stacks of dishes stabilized, protect delicate glassware from cracks and chips, and contain drips and splatters during food prep. These small but mighty accessories provide peace of mind while prolonging the life of your furnishings and dining ware. Give them a try – your counters, tables, and dishes will thank you!